Saturday, June 28, 2014

Week #6

I don't really want to write this blog, to be honest.  I don't want to write it because it means that I only have one week left here.  Seven days to take in as much as I can, do everything I want to do before I depart, not knowing if/when I'll return.  I love Haiti. I love COTP and their ministry.  I love the kids here with all my heart. I love all the people here that I've met and grown close to.  I love teaching preschool to my six wonderfully crazy kids.  I love that God put me here, not knowing the reason or purpose.  I love all the new experiences I've been able to have here.  I love hearing angry cows and chickens in the morning and at night from my house.  I love our five little kittens.  I love the conversations that I've been able to have here.  I could go on and on.

However, following the format of my last blog posts, I'll continue and share some highlights from this past week. This week went by SO quickly, but it was a great one!
-I spent Monday and Tuesday with Jenna and Holly at the beach.  Staying overnight was such a relaxing and wonderful experience!  We spent time reading, snorkeling, wading in the ocean, taking naps in hammocks, and laying out.  It was great to get to spend time with two beautiful, Godly women who I've grown especially close to, having great conversations and just being able to relax.  We got delicious chocolate ice cream with our dinner, and yummy breakfast, which was definitely a plus :). I came out with hardly any sunburn, which is practically a miracle if you know me at all :p
-I watched a local soccer game between people from COTP and Lagossette, which was really fun to see, and one of the boys I've spent time with homeschooling was able to play, and it was great to see him play out one of his passions.
-I went for my first run in Haiti!  Maybe wasn't the best life choice with my ankle, but it didn't really hurt :p It's still sore, but isn't very swollen.
-I babysat one of the international girls for a morning, which was really fun!  It was great to get to know her in her home setting and spend time with her besides in preschool.

On the downside, this week we've had more people getting sick :(. Two of the boys that I homeschooled got sick late this week, which was really difficult for the family because they left today for time back in the states.  I was sad to not be able to hang out with them more before they left.  The Willis family, as I said, left today, which was a tough goodbye, or "see you later."  They are such a sweet, caring, generous, selfless, hilarious, Christ-loving family and I've absolutely loved getting to know them and grow close to them.  I appreciate them so much for the generosity and their openness to welcoming me here.  I look up to them a lot, and know I can call them if I ever need someone to talk to and they'll listen.  I grew really close to their kids, and it will be hard not to see them every day.  Luckily, I will see them again someday, God willing :).  One of the long-term staff members here is also sick, as well as a short term volunteer. Prayers for health are definitely needed and appreciated!

Although I may not know the true purpose or reason for God placing me here in Haiti, I know Haiti has forever changed me and will always have a special place in my heart.  I may have become frustrated at times while being here, but I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything.  God has given me comfort and peace of mind  so much while I've been here; I've never felt more comfortable. While I've been here, I haven't really been worried about what my future will be or what God has planned for me. I know whatever it is,  it will grow and stretch me and have a great purpose.  It may not be easy, it  may not be what I want or think is right, but it will be worth it.  It's now just waiting with the peace of mind  that God will show me when the time is right.  If you would have told me a year ago I was going to Haiti for 7 weeks, I would have laughed at you.  Now, I can't even begin to put into words how thankful I am for God's work He's done in my life through this.  Sarah laughed at God when He said she was going to have a son even though she thought she was far too old. But God used that experience.  God used that experience to teach Sarah faithfulness and to draw near to God at all times.  God made the impossible possible.  It was on God's timing that Sarah had a son.  Hebrews 11:11 tells the story of Sarah's faithfulness as well.  I was just like Sarah, I laughed at God for trying to point me towards Haiti.  I'm just now beginning to see some of the reasons why, and I can't wait to see what further plans He has for me.  God is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment